Prosjektleder: Astrid Lyså
Valleys and fjords are spectacular features of the Norwegian landscape.
This nature system may be considered as conduit for sediment transport from the mountain areas to the ocean.
The research project targeting the Nordfjorden valley - fjord system in western Norway aims at filling a gap in knowledge by:
- Identifying recent sedimentary processes and determine their relative importance and spatial variability along a mountain-valley-fjord profile,
- determining the distribution of sediments from the last deglaciation to the present and identifying the controlling factors,
- constructing qualitative and quantitative models for the glacier-valley-fjord sedimentary system during deglacial and interglacial phases,
- providing basic knowledge on erosion-, transport- and sedimentary processes of glaciated coastal regions as input for models on glaciated margin development, and for the understanding of glacial depo-centres along the Norwegian margin,
- providing data and knowledge on fjord - valley deposits in order to contribute to optimal planning, and
- modeling, analyzing and visualizing fjord - valley geology based on various and large datasets using modern 3D/GIS tools.